Monday, November 17, 2008

Baby 's with a palate

My wife thinks that I am ruining the babies for normal food. But try and keep our two little 9 month old infant hoovers away from what ever we are putting in our mouth is like keeping a junkie out of a methadone clinic after getting cash for his plasma. So they have taste for real slow cooked oats with brown sugar or molasses as I like to use on occasion, or some yummy saffron risotto with a small little bite of braised short ribs with a little pan jus. They may not yet be discerning but they are surely hungry.

I flash back to a restaurant I worked in back in Austin ironically named Ella's. There was a family that would come in with their 9 and 13 year old daughters. They usually ordered the escargot or carpaccio appetizer, a filet medium rare and some sort of fish, and a bottle of Cain Five Cab blend. I remember them well because the daughters ate it all. Blood red meat, foie gras, snails, spinach, mahi, lobster, and they even sipped the wine. I used to comment that it would be quite a surprise to the first guy that took them out on a date and pulled up to Chili's only to be laughed at or quickly redirected to a Michelin rated eatery. Or the dad would at the least make reservations for the couple and slip him a couple of "hundies" if he liked the kid.

So now I could quite possibly be setting the stage for a similar situation. The big kiddos are simple in theirs dietary needs. Wendy's is their favorite treat. Their lunches have barely changed in 5 years. Will the next two be the same. We will find out. But if I am left arguing with 6 year olds over Haute French or Norther Italian for dinner or the merits of a sippy cup vs. balloon stemware to let a Cote-du-Rhone breath better, I have only have myself to blame.

Need proof that food is a priority. This is the what he spent 10 minutes in front of waiting for it to open.

1 comment:

Mimi_to_4 said...

Well, don't be surprised if your two-year-olds decide that they want risotto. And nothing but. Every day.
Every meal. For a month. (Started to say mac and cheese, but since they probably won't ever get The Blue Box, maybe not :)