Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday is steak day

We invited the grandparents over for Sunday dinner to see the babies and such. We originally planned a low key burger and chips dinner but the Wine Guy at Market Street quickly derailed that plan for me.

Wine Guy: Hey there, whats going on?

Me: Aww, not much. Having the grandparents over for dinner so I came to pick up some burgers and chips.

Wine Guy: Don't do burgers?

Me: *eyebrow raised* Really? Why? (how dare he question my dinner plan)

Wine Guy: They have T-bones on sale for $1.99/lb.

Me: No way! (Pavlovian tail wagging begins)

Wine Guy: But they are out. *sly smile*

Me: Huh? (roughly translated to "Asshole...don't play me like that!")

Wine Guy: So instead they switched to NY Strips.

Me: Ok. I can deal with that. (Not my favorite cut but still worth the price and I can grind the rest)

Wine Guy: But they ran out of those too.

Me: Seriously? (restraining myself from kicking him in the Jimmy)

Wine Guy: But I heard they sent a guy to the store in McKinney to pick up some Ribeyes.

Me: Ohhh... (almost sharting myself because Ribeye is on my "last meal" menu) I can deal with that.

So I quickly plowed through a family of four and knocked over an end cap of peanuts and preperation H to get to the coffin fridges. There were three packs of beautifully marbled six packs of steaks none of which exceeded $18. Glory be! I was a happy man. I had to back track through the produce section for spinach and taters and of course revisit the Wine Guy to let him schlep some of his spirits to me. Either way Beck and I managed quick and successful shopping trip and returned to surprise the family with a gorgeous upgrade from the expected dinner of sliders and crisps.

Steak, blessed steak!



Spinach on the Sautee


Yummy baby bellas being sweated.


Pascual Toso and Mother's Milk for drinking



Grilled Ribeye steak with mushroom shallot red wine reduction, chive and garlic masher and sauteed spinach. Mangia!

3 comments:

BMom said...

Too bad the wine guy can't see the pictures of what he encouraged. Worse yet, he didn't get to taste it!!! Yum, yum, yum!!

Jacki said...

Mother's Milk looks interesting...where did you pick it up at?

nodnarB! said...

Market Street. It is a well blended Shiraz that I actually like. Central Mkt should have it as well.