Thursday, January 3, 2008

Fales Alarm #1

Last weekend I informed the management staff that from this day forward I was, "on call." Not at their beck and call, at the mercy of the dittos and a uterus. If I drop drinks, hand you my closed checks and cash, peel off my apron and shirt while making a mad dash out of the closest exit, to my waiting car in my rented VIP parking space just strides from the front door don't worry. I informed host staff that if my wife calls in the middle of a shift that they are allowed to interrupt me, even if I am in the middle of gingerly extricating the cork of a '67 Brunello, without fear of gnashing teeth and evil eyes. I shall return.

I did get a call last night as I was wrapping up. It was not quite as shocking since I had called Sass a couple of hours earlier and reassured her that it was ok to call the doctor if you are having more than 4 Braxton Hicks an hour. My over zealous supervisor that is expecting his first child almost tripped coming down the stairs and practically yanked the bottle of strawberry sauce out of my hand since the kitchen staff kindly left me solo to make what ever postres be ordered late that night. I calmly got my stuff in order and left.

The on call doctor recommended that Deb go in for observation and to take a, Hydroponic Protein Synthesis Assessment, or what ever it was called to see if there was a chance she would go into labor in the next 2 weeks. All was well and all was normal.

Will the posse out there please reassure my wife that false alarms are OK. This pregnancy is going to be much different from her 2 singletons. And that she is not, wasting the time of the 3rd shift labor and delivery nurses on a slow Wednesday night, because thats what they are there for.

I have to admit, for all the issues and complications that could occur with 29 week twins, I was quite excited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posse to the rescue here!! (although Franklin is really the expert posse member in this area).

Yes false alarms are totally normal. Yes you should be hypervigilant since you are carrying twins. No, you are NOT wasting the time of the L&D staff...they give them a paycheck for a reason, girlfriend.

As exciting as those impending bundles of joy are, let's keep them cooking for as long as possible. Take it from someone who delivered a 35-weeker.

mrsf5 said...

Aaahhh! You rang, and I missed the call! So sorry. Will swear to be more prompt from here on out.

Yes, YES: false alarms are totally normal. It's my personal opinion that if you don't run to the emergency room in the middle of the night at least once during your pregnancy, you're just far too mellow.

Or maybe you don't have Internet access. Because Internet access will seriously fuck with your head when you feel a weird twinge and offhandedly google "weird twinge pregnancy" and then, the next thing you know, you're breathing into a paper bag and sobbing hysterically for your husband to get you to the hospital, stat.

Or maybe that's just me.

Where was I? Yes, false alarms: definitely normal. I suspect that it's all part of preparing one's psyche for the constant adrenaline rush of parenthood.

Definitely encourage Deb, as I'm sure you already are, to take it easy. (If you and the OB aren't able to convince her, don't worry; general aches and pains will become more... persuasive as the weeks tick by.)

Hang in there. Y'all are doing GREAT. Call Trey or me anytime you need to talk!